4.23.2007

what's that word again?

from the oxford-delena dictionary

dog tired
adj.

1. utterly exhausted
2. worn out
3. that feeling delena gets coming home after an unexpected day at work


i got called in to work today, from 3pm until closing. i worked really hard today, actually, and i loved every minute of it. the pointer finger on my left hand is throbbing like hell because i gashed it deeply right at the second knuckle, my lower back is screaming, and my arms from my hands up to my elbows are agonizingly dry. you know that sting, when it feels like a thousand little paper cuts with lemon juice rubbed in?

yeah, they feel like that. after constantly being soaked and scrubbing with soaps --from oatmeal to almond to medicated to flea-treated-- they're drier than the sahara in summer. already they look like laundress' hands, red at the knuckles, swollen, wrinkled, and dry.

i love my job!!!!

no, seriously, that wasn't sarcasm. i really do. for every single pitfall in the grooming world, i have a remedy that fixes it right up. like, after friday when my entire body was screaming with a thousand varieties of pain, all i had to take were a few anti-inflammatories, some ibuprofen, melatonin to get me to sleep, and a shot of jeagermeister. that was the treatment all weekend, and it worked like a charm. i'll prolly do something similar tonight (she says as she nurses a hard cider while blogging...).

of course, i get to open up shop tomorrow, after closing the night before. yayfunjoy!

another good thing, though. as i was passing the office and waved good-night to the general manager, he called out, "i've been hearing you're doing a really good job!"

me: (stunned) "really? you hear about me?"
GM: "yup. i think the Union's gonna be calling us about you, saying that you need to slow down. making everyone else here look bad."
one of the closing groomers: "oh, she's terrible. just terrible." deadpan expression. "she had the entire shop cleaned up and was finished before we were done with our last dogs."
me: *devilish grin*
GM: "oh yes, been hearing many wonderful things about you."

i. LOVE. my. job!

gotta love the dog days of grooming.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY for you!! I'm glad you love your job and that people are seeing that you're good at it.
You go girl. ;)
Love and hugs
Dizzy

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh....the eurphoric thrill of being recognized for your talents and hard work1
You must be just beaming with pride!
Very few employers now even care. People seem so expendable.
So you are the "rockin'-est" doggie groomer on the planet!!
Cheers to you! (holding up coffee cup with left hand, while typing).
Suggestion....there's some kind of all natural balm (I forget the name) out there for breastfeeding moms to put on their nipples. (Where the HELL am I going with this, you ask?)
It's fantastic for dry, chapped, over-worked hands.
Check it out in any health food store.
Congrats!!! Be Proud!!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome for you :)
Can I send my cat up to get a wash? :P